Once you are a member of the EFY Contributor Network, the following process will be initiated to get you ready for submitting content.
- You shall gain access to your very own Contributor account
A Contributor account is an account that lets you directly login into our content management system. This allows you to directly upload and update content without routing it through us. Your contributor account on our content management system ensures that your content is represented exactly the way that you intended it to be.
- Attend our training to get started with posting through our content management system (CMS)
One of the members from our editorial team will guide you through the process of uploading articles. We use a WordPress-based content management system which is known to be easy to learn. Therefore this phase of the process should be a breeze.
- Post and publish your first article through your new contributor account while we guide you to move any roadblocks.
Once the training is done, you can go ahead and apply your new founds skills and access to publish your very first article. One of our editorial team will be available to you during this time to quickly help solve any problems you may face.
Guidelines for articles
1. Content. Electronics For You publishes articles related to electronics technology and industry, besides DIY articles like electronics projects and circuit ideas. Please ensure that the subject of your article is of general interest to technology enthusiasts and professionals. Also, the content should not have been covered already in the magazine.
2. Length. A manuscript should not exceed 2,000 words including equivalent space for illustrations and photographs. If longer, it should be possible to serialize the article in two or more parts.
3. Information. The manuscript should be complete in all respects. Relevant illustrations and photographs should be included, mentioning their source, as they make an article attractive and more readable. Hand-drawn diagrams and illustrations should be neat and readable. Ensure the diagrams and programs are error-free.
4. Author. Include brief information about yourself including name(s) of the author(s), their related work experience if any, and contact information such as full address, email and phone numbers, along with your recent coloured photograph (and of co-authors, if any) in .jpg format.
5. English. Use standard Oxford English Dictionary (British English) or, better still, Indian English spellings.
6. Units. Use metric units only as use of non-metric units is illegal under Indian law. If needed, British or other units from other systems of measurement may be shown within parentheses.
7. Symbols. While using Greek characters, mathematical notations and other symbols, use them consistently throughout the text and append a key of such characters and symbols with the article.
8. Equations. Avoid use of elaborate equations and rare symbols, so that the article can be understood by a larger cross-section of the readers.
9. Tables. Tables should bear short descriptive titles and table columns should bear appropriate headings.
10. Abbreviations. Elaborate the abbreviations used as far as possible, especially when used for the first time in the article.
11. Maps. While including maps in articles, ensure only the government of India’s approved version of Indian maps are used. Use of other versions is considered illegal in India.
12. Plagiarism. We perform stringent checks for plagiarism. So the manuscript should not have any material copied from others’ work. If a dispute comes up at any stage, you should be able to defend yourself against infringement of Copyright.
13. Citations. Quotes, or work by others, must be clearly identified. Provide proper citations for anything that is not your own work. Cite the sources you are using to write the article – books, research papers, newspapers, studies, periodicals, journals, etc. Mention all relevant names of people, places and organisations, facts, figures and dates to support your work. Extensive copying, if any, must be permitted by Copyright Act, or licence from the source and must be indicated clearly in the article. For example, all content on Wikipedia is governed by a Creative Commons BY-SA licence. You may reproduce content from Wikipedia as long as you attribute it to its source URL.
14. Editing. The editors reserve the right to suitably edit the articles including diagrams. All efforts are made to inform the contributors about changes made before publishing their articles. However, due to limitation of time, it may not always be possible to wait for their concurrence.
15. Rights. After publication of an article and payment of the honorarium, the contributed article becomes the property of the publishers. So it can be reused elsewhere, with the author’s name intact.
16. DIY Articles. For do-it-yourself (DIY) type articles, including Circuits, Projects, Software and Tips & Techniques, it is essential that the same are properly tested for their proper working before submission. The prototypes should be kept handy for dispatch to EFY when requested, after the articles have been accepted for publication.
The DIY articles write up shall be submitted in EFY’s standard format with below mentioned headings:
Introduction. This section should give the overview of the complete project.
Circuit and working. Elaborate the use of each component in the circuit and then explain the working.
Software. Describe the algorithm of software used, if any, with flow charts. Also give details about the tool chain used for compiling the code and burning it to the target device. The complete source code should be provided for testing during the time of submission.
Construction and testing. Give assembly steps to construct the project. Testing procedure should be provided for testing after assembly. Indicate various test points in the circuit and the levels or waveforms expected at these points for testing.
18. Submission. You can submit your article through the author account that our editorial will set up for you.
19. Promotional Content: We do not undertake promotional content. Unnecessary links within the article for the sake of promotion of a website or content will be removed before publishing.